Friday, January 14, 2011

The Subtle Mind

As I blogged last week, I liked the loving kindness exercise except for breathing in another person’s suffering. So, this week I tried it by breathing in love and blowing away the other person’s suffering. This felt to me more like a benefit to both of us. I was turning the love I sent out inward and then sending it out again to alleviate my loved one’s suffering. The subtle mind exercise is a little harder for me. I can do the first part and concentrate on breathing etc. and clear my mind momentarily, but when thoughts start to come back in it is harder to witness them without becoming immersed in them. I think this will be a great exercise with a LOT more practice.

The connection between spiritual, mental, and physical wellness is very evident in my own life. When I am stuck worrying about a problem or something I feel is beyond my control but that I want to change I don’t sleep well, I eat poorly and generally feel unsettled. We all know how stress can lead to physical symptoms and problems like headaches and even more serious problems if allowed to continue. I had such a problem recently. I awoke at 5am one morning (well before the alarm was to go off) after not sleeping well and couldn’t go back to sleep. I decided to get up and use my extra time for prayer. I made a concerted effort to give this problem to God and release it. This particular problem is actually between two other family members, but I feel stuck in the middle and want so badly to “fix it”. I asked Him to take it from me and for Him to fix what I cannot. I prayed for all of the parties involved and asked God to show me what to do if I was to be used in rectifying the problem, but otherwise to take my worry away and help me to trust the He was handling it. Since then I have still had moments where it comes to mind and I start to worry, but it is much easier to stop myself and give it back to God.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,
    It is hard to let things go or take care of themselves especially when it's family. I've had experiences like this almost all my life for one reason or another. And being who I am, I like balance, fairness, and calm, I don't like strife (I'm a Libra the sign of the scales and am a true one), lol, it's hard
    But now, after years of it I realize people can't fix other peoples problems regardless of want or love, it has to be fixed by the ones who are in trouble. As hard as it is you have to separate yourself from it and as you said let the powers that be handle it.
    I am such a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and I mean everything, but sometimes it's hard to see the lesson until much later. Even the worse things or events in our life happen for a purpose, there is light somewhere to be found.
    It's hard to explain but I've had so many things I had to make sense of or lose myself that now I look past the moment or the incident to see what can be learned.
    I don't know maybe I sound like I'm rambling but it is hard to present the point I'm trying to make.
    Bottom line is don't take this on, things will work out, some how they always do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,

    I completely relate to what you said about this exercise, "when thoughts start to come back in it is harder to witness them without becoming immersed in them" is my struggle as well. I do hope that with time and effort I will be better.

    I really appreciate you sharing your recent experience, I also had a great experience with prayer recently, I talk about it on my blog, it was truly life changing.

    ReplyDelete